“Do we have to give up coffee?”
This is one of the most frequent questions we get from our newbie cleansers. And, unfortunately we have to be the bearer of bad news because after all this is a cleanse, and when we’re working on resetting the body’s system, part of this involves looking at what we’re dependent on for energy.
Although highly addictive, if you read any of the studies out there it quickly becomes confusing as to whether or not 1 cup of coffee a day will help prevent Alzheimer’s and colon cancer or if it’s the reason you can’t sleep, deal with anxiety, depression and even unwanted pounds.
We firmly believe that taking a break from your Americano is not only beneficial, but also extremely empowering. If you can kick your caffeine habit, what else is possible for you and your life? We say it all the time because it’s so true: The foods you love and crave the most are often times the foods causing the most problems in your health.
Below are the top 7 reasons for replacing your beloved latte with a new non-caffeinated morning beverage. And, if you can’t even fathom a day without coffee, then consider it one more reason to take a break from it for a few weeks. Nudge, nudge!
We know this is a hot topic for many people and we want to hear from you. Try it for yourself and tell us what happens. Notice how you feel, that is, after you come off your initial “coffee hangover.” You might just feel like a million bucks and have more energy than you’ve had in a long time.
With caffeine-free kisses,
7 Reasons to Kick Your Coffee Habit
- Coffee is acid-forming. Highly acidic, coffee wrecks havoc on your gut, affecting the natural balance of your flora. 80% of our immune system is located in the gut, so you can imagine that when your digestive system out of whack, the rest of you is gonna be out of balance too. For optimal heath, we’re striving for an alkaline state, which means bye-bye acid forming drinks and foods.
- Coffee is full of chemicals. With all of our focus on the dirty dozen, we often lose sight of our favorite hot drinks, which are laden with nasty toxins. Coffee crops are sprayed heavily with pesticides, especially when imported from other countries.
- Coffee messes with your vanity. Yes, seriously! Most of us know that coffee is a diuretic, which means that it dehydrates the body. But did you know that dehydration could also lead to premature aging of the skin and kidneys. No thanks! We’d rather have vibrant glowing skin.
- Coffee leads to unwanted pounds. You’ve probably heard that coffee helps you lose weight. In reality, coffee spikes our blood sugar leading to higher levels of insulin in the body. After the spike in insulin, our blood sugar crashes and thus the nasty cycle begins. The blood sugar roller coaster and high levels of insulin send a signal to store excess sugar as fat. Avoiding the muffin top might be your motivation to ditch the coffee, but the way you feel when you kick the habit…priceless.
- Coffee strips your body of key vitamins. Maybe your thinking, “vitamins, schmitamins.” But here’s the deal, too much coffee depletes your supply of B vitamins, which is your natural source of energy. Caffeine also causes the body to dump other key nutrients like calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron. Have I made my case yet?
- Coffee can affect your mood. Instead of boosting your mood, caffeine actually produces stress hormones, which can trigger anxiety, irritability and insomnia. Most of us are already running around in a state of “fight or flight,” so ditching coffee is essential for helping us stay calm in our stressful lives.
- Coffee is void of nutrients. One of the key principles of the Conscious Cleanse is to focus on nutrient-dense food. Not only does coffee deplete the body of nutrients, it’s got nothing to give us in exchange short of a very temporary pick me up. Enough said! Coffee you’re fired!