The recipe that we’re sharing today is one that we’ve been holding onto because it falls into our 80:20 category!
Now that the summer cleanse is behind us, we want to talk about matcha – the green tea superfood that we’re head over heels for (when not cleansing).
Matcha is taking the culinary world by storm – matcha vinaigrette, matcha salt, matcha popcorn, matcha ice cream. Maybe the question is what doesn’t matcha go with?!
In all seriousness though, there are a plethora of good reasons why you should add matcha to your daily routine. To name a few:
- Matcha is high in l-theanine, the amino acid known for calm alertness
- Matcha is higher in antioxidants than blueberries, spinach or acai
- Matcha contains free radical fighting flavonoids helping to ward off chronic illnesses
- Matcha helps promote a healthy heart
- Matcha is good for boosting metabolism and weight loss
- Matcha is good for your brain function
Matcha is made from Japanese green tea. Its leaves are shade grown and then finely milled into matcha powder. The World Tea Expo experts are calling it “the must-have for the modern pantry.”
One thing to note is that not all matchas are created equal. Even well-marketed matchas can contain fillers making them less potent, less pure options. Always looks for the highest grade matcha you can find. We love the organic matcha by The Tea Spot. You can buy it online here.
Read on to get our Almond Matcha Green Smoothie recipe. It’s the perfect morning pick-me-up chockful of protein, antioxidants, and fiber to keep you going strong.
Drink up and then leave us a comment below. Have we convinced you to give matcha a try?
With mojo matcha,
Almond Matcha Green Smoothie
Yields: 1 quart
- 2 cups almond milk (preferably homemade, recipe in our book)
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 handfuls of spinach or kale
- 1 TB almond butter
- 1 tsp matcha
In a high-speed blender combine almond milk, banana, spinach, almond butter, and matcha until creamy. Serve immediately.