Today’s recipe comes to you from one of our most favorite Paleo food bloggers!
Elana Amsterdam is the author of the New York Times Best Selling cookbook Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry. She gave up grains over a decade ago and has been tempting foodies everywhere with her incredibly simple, yet flavorful recipes for dynamic, vibrantly healthy food.
We got to sit down with Elana this week and could have talked to her all day long! We know you will love her (if you don’t already!), but for now, read on and enjoy Elana’s Matzo Ball Soup recipe, which falls into our 80:20 category (because of the eggs).
Matzo Ball Soup
By Elana Amsterdam
This gluten-free Matzo Ball Soup is a healthy twist on a Passover classic. My secret to making this dish gluten-free is to use almond flour in place of matzo meal. Yes, it’s a grain-free Paleo Matzo Ball Soup, as a good as any your Bubby ever made.
Traditionally, Matzo Ball Soup is served each year at Passover. One of my favorite holidays, it ushers in a change of seasons and occurs each year on the spring full moon falling in March or April.
To me spring means spring cleaning. So after you eat a big Seder meal of Matzo Ball Soup and other Passover delights, the warm spring weather is the perfect time for a cleanse!
Matzo Ball Soup
Yields: 6 servings
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons celtic sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups blanched almond flour (not almond meal), sifted
- 6 cups chicken stock or Kettle & Fire Bone Broth
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, (1 teaspoon) salt and pepper for 2 minutes
- Stir in the almond flour
- Refrigerate the mixture 2-4 hours
- Remove from refrigerator
- Heat a large pot of water (with 1 teaspoon salt) and bring to a boil
- Roll the batter into 1-inch balls then drop into the pot of boiling water
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes
- Heat 6 cups chicken stock in a separate pot
- When the matzo balls are finished, remove from simmering water with a slotted spoon and add to chicken stock
- Ladle stock, plus 2-3 matzo balls into individual bowls and serve
Looking for more delicious soup recipes? Try our: