Maybe you’ve recently found yourself flipping through the People magazine in the bathroom basket a few extra times. It happens to the best of us. In fact, according to the National Institute of Health, constipation accounts for over 2.5 million doctor visits per year in the US.
And if you’re one of the roughly 4 million people who’ve experienced frequent constipation, you know that it’s about a lot more than just beefing up on your magazine subscriptions. A healthy digestive system means eliminating at least once per day and ideally after every meal. And if you’ve ever gone a few days without any bowel movements, you know it can be downright miserable.
Chronic constipation causes gas, bloating, weight gain, acne, headaches, and low back pain, just to name a few…..And chronic constipation can lead to more serious diseases like colon cancer and even Parkinson’s disease.
The good news is that there are some pretty straightforward remedies to your clogged plumbing, and most of them just involve some simple tweaks to what you’re eating and drinking. We see it over and over again in our cleanses, and it’s just as true in our daily lives: easy changes can have dramatic results.
Following are a few changes you can try that will help you, ahem, eliminate the problem, rather than just treat the symptom.
Now it’s your turn. Don’t be shy! Do you struggle with constipation? Let us know how these tips work for you in the comment section below.
Here’s to a happy and healthy digestive system,
P.S. If you liked this article, share it!
Top 10 Tips to Get Things Moving
- Take a high quality probiotic. You can find high quality products at your natural grocery store. Just make sure it’s gluten, dairy, egg and soy free!
- Drink more water. One of the most common reasons for constipation is dehydration. Aim to drink at least half your body weight in ounces per day. Try frontloading your water in the beginning of the day so that you’re not trying to play catch up in the evening (which will just have you to peeing all night).
- Add 1-2 tbsp of ground flaxseeds to your smoothie. This trick works like a charm! Flaxseeds add more fiber to your diet, which help to bulk up your stool so that you can eliminate easily. Think of flaxseeds as the new and improved Metamucil.
- Chew your food. It’s easy to snarf down a quick lunch, but chewing is part of the digestive process. Take the time to slow down and enjoy your meal!
- Consider that you might have a food allergy. Foods like gluten, dairy, and soy commonly cause digestive problems and constipation. Try removing them from your diet to see if that does the trick. Consider joining the Conscious Cleanse to more accurately identify the foods that are causing you problems.
- Drink a green juice. Fresh vegetable juice is filled with live enzymes, vitamins and minerals that help aid in digestion and elimination. Add some ginger or turmeric to your juice for an extra digestive boost!
- Stop eating. Give your digestive system a rest so that it can process the food already in your body. If you’re hungry grab a green juice or have a large cup of hot water with lemon, which has a natural laxative effect.
- Move your body. Walk, run, dance or do some yoga. Check out our newest Conscious Cleanse Detox Flow class designed to improve elimination and aid in detoxification. Exercise stimulates the natural contraction of intestinal muscles.
- Take a warm Epsom salt bath. This is a great ritual to add to your daily routine. The warm water relaxes your body as the Epsom salt aids in a gentle detoxification. Soak for 20 minutes for best results.
- Add magnesium citrate into your daily routine. We like to take Natural Vitality’s magnesium citrate packets at night to help us relax, as well as keep our digestive systems runnin’ like a champ.