Candy is everywhere we turn these days. Bowls of black and orange M&Ms conveniently placed for us to grab and pop in our mouth without even thinking twice. Jars of candy corn and bite-sized chocolates call our names despite our best will power efforts.
Here’s an alarming statistic: Sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine!
It’s no wonder it feels nearly impossible to just say NO! The fact is that refined sugar is addictive because people get hooked on the “high” they get when they eat it. Sugar literally releases the same neurotransmitters that are released in drug addicts when they get their fix.
In my opinion, sugar is worse than cocaine, heroine and meth combined because it’s so readily available and widely accepted in our culture. Over 80% of packaged foods in American grocery stores contain sugar!
To boot, sugar is deeply ingrained in our culture. We use sugary treats in all our celebrations. We use it to show our love and appreciation. We even have holidays that revolve around it!
Which brings me to Halloween – the perfect time to look at all the ways sugar is not so sweet to us.
There are literally hundreds of scientific reasons to kick the sugar habit but below are my top 10 favorites. This sweet stuff is wrecking havoc on our bodies. Not convinced? Try going off it for just two weeks and feel the difference for yourself.
Along the way you may need some alternatives to help wean you off the hard stuff. Try our favorite Decadent Raw Brownies or Jo’s Pumpkin Fudge. Increase the amount of sweet fruits and veggies you’re eating–things like Granny Smith apples and baked sweet potatoes.
Now it’s your turn. Are you addicted to sugar? How are you getting your fix? Are you ready to ditch sugar for good? Leave me a comment below.
With love and sassy sweetness,
10 Reasons to Just Say No to Sugar
- Sugar is enemy #1 of healthy elimination because it slows food’s travel time through the GI tract.
- Sugar causes our blood sugar levels to spike and fall dramatically making us more susceptible to hypoglycemia, mood swings, pre-diabetes and diabetes.
- Sugar is linked to premature aging as it causes inflammation, which produces enzymes that break down collagen and elastin, resulting in sagging skin and wrinkles.
- Sugar causes us to overeat by shutting off the brain’s biochemistry telling us we’re full. It’s also damages the brain’s dopamine receptor sites, causing us to need more and more in order to get our fix.
- Overconsumption of sugar is the leading cause of all our major health epidemics including cancer, heart disease, obesity and diabetes.
- Refined sugar has been linked to suppressed immune system, anxiety, depression, ADD/ADHD, asthma, headaches and insomnia.
- Excess sugar gets stored as fat in the cells, tissues, even around the organs, making weight loss difficult.
- Sugar causes food allergies because it suppresses the immune system causing the body to be on high alert for foreign invaders.
- Doubling over with cramps every month? Cutting back on sugar might make a huge difference. Sugar causes hormonal imbalances, exacerbating premenstrual symptoms.
- Sugar feeds organisms in the body like bad bacteria, yeast, Candida, and mutated cells.