Ah-choo! “Gesundheit”– I’ve heard this word too many times from my German grandparents. Stuffy nose, watery eyes, scratchy throat, and a foggy head…AKA “spring allergies,” plague over 35 million Americans each year. While many people can’t wait for the weather to warm up, the birds to sing and tulips to bloom, the allergy suffers among us dread the first sight of flowers. And seeing the little green buds on the trees is like facing death year after year. We say goodbye to the winter blues and hello to the hay fever season –heck, when does a girl get a break?
Spring allergies are no fun!
For years I felt miserable – really miserable – like I didn’t want to leave the house on a nice spring day miserable. I couldn’t breathe. My eyes would feel like they were on fire.
And I blew my nose so many times that I’d wished I’d invested in Kleenex.
I’d tell my friends that I could skip spring and really just go right into summer. Seriously, I could do without the whole four-season thing. Three seasons would be just fine.
Back in the day, if you told me that I could feel better during the spring season, I would have rolled my eyes in disbelief. “Not in this lifetime!” But lo and behold, a miracle happened! Over the last few years I’ve reduced my spring allergies dramatically. So I’m here to share my secrets so you can feel your best all spring long. Believe me when I say, little changes go a long way!
With new found spring love,
P.S. Leave a comment below and let us know what spring remedies have worked for you!!
Here are 8 simple and natural ways to feel better fast, without having to pop a Claritin!
- Drink tons and tons of water! We recommend drinking at least half your body weight in ounces, but with your body on high alert you may need more. When I first told my husband the water formula he said, “but I’ll be in the bathroom all day!” Research has shown that being well hydrated helps 38 percent of women relieve allergy symptoms. Now that’s worth being in the bathroom for.
- Wash your sheets and clothes often. Our clothes can pick up pollen, the biggest offender, which causes us to feel miserable even when we think we aren’t being exposed to those sneaky little suckers.
- Use a Neti pot with warm water and sea salt to flush your nasal passage. When pollen grains get into the nose of someone who is allergic it sends their immune system into overdrive. Flush those pollen grains out and send them packing! Not sure how to use a Neti Pot? Check out this video.
- Take Vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to reduce inflammation and block the release of histamine from inflammatory cells. Eat foods high in vitamin C like papaya, pineapple, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cantaloupe and kale. Also, consider supplementing with an additional 1,000-2,000 mg per day.
- Drink Nettle Tea. Native Americans used stinging nettles for many health conditions, including allergies. Unlike pharmaceuticals, which can cause drowsiness, nettles provide the relief without the side effects. Our Conscious Cleanse Organic Restore Tea is be perfect for this.
- Keep your windows closed. Simple, right? When your windows are open you are exposed to pollen! Such a no brainer but it helps a ton!
- Avoid foods that cause congestion. Because your body is inflamed and your immune system is on high alert it’s even more important to “keep foods off your plate” like gluten, dairy, and sugar.
- Get your greens on! Drink green smoothies, green juices and lots of green veggies as they help combat inflammation. The more you become a green machine, the better you will feel. This is my biggest secret weapon!